Disclaimer

This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program, Georgetown University, or the U.S. Department of State.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The trip to Sanur

So, on a blissful Tuesday morning (Sept. 7th), I left my house at around 4:15 in the morning and took at very expensive taxi to the Manado airport.

From there, I boarded a plane to Makassar.  This is another major city on the exact opposite side of Sulawesi.  I was lucky enough to have a terrific seat with no one in front of me because it was an exit row, and a window to my right.  Visibility was almost perfect.  Here are some views from the plane.  

Mt. Lokon, one of the volcanoes I live near.
Aww, look at how cute all the palm trees look!
Holy crap!  I am flying right over the volcano.
Ok, holy shit!  Now I REALLY am flying over the volcano.
Mt. Lokon actually has 3 vent shafts, and is still pretty "active"
Sulawesi is a really weird shaped island.  Check out a map.
The part I live on is so narrow, you can see both sides from the air.
I don't think I'd mind vacationing on this island.
At Makassar I had to get off the plane.  The flight was to Bali, but there was a stop in Makassar.  I was very confused as to what I needed to do, but a nice couple with a baby that was sitting right behind me explained.  I needed to go to the "Transfer" counter, and pick up a small plastic boarding pass to get back on the plane.  One bathroom stop later, and it was actually time to board again.  The same plane actually.  10 minutes to get back on the same plane.  Hmmm...  Ok, whatever.

These look like trees, but they are actually tiny mountain-y things.
Very strange looking.
Speaking of that couple with the baby...the baby was crying.  A lot.  A whole lot.  But, the baby had laryngitis.  It was the weirdest noise.  Like a wheezing barely there cry.  At first I was like, "that is the strangest noise I have ever heard a baby make."  Then they happened to mention that the baby had laryngitis while we were in line at the transfer counter.  Then I felt super guilty that I was happy that a baby was sick.  Who in their right mind is happy that a baby has laryngitis?  Someone who has to sit right in front of that baby on a 3 hour flight, that's who.  Yes.  I know.  I am fully aware that I am going to hell.  This isn't the only reason.  ;)

So, finally I arrived in Denpasar, Bali.  Noreen had already arrived, and had been blissfully awaiting me at the airport Starbucks while watching a group of hottie Spanish guys.  We were whisked away to our hotel. Gorgeous!  We were even greeted with fresh juice of some kind.  Yummy.

Some gorgeous statue in the lobby.
Another gorgeous statue.
While waiting for Michaela, we had a snack, and Napa Noreen tried some Balinese white wine.  Um.  Not so hot.  But, it was so nice to just sit and relax in paradise.  After the drama of the last 2 weeks, I really did need a vacation.

Michaela arrived, and we relaxed in the room for just a little bit.  The bed was HUGE.  We all could have fit in there no problem, but um, since I have a tendency to snore and drool (line forms to the left guys) while I'm sleeping, I took the cot.  Which was really a single, and oh so comfortable.  

Noreen demonstrating how much room she has.
Ahh, vacation.
Then it was off for a walk to the beach.  I almost walked right through a "celebration".  Here are some photos.

Some umbrellas.
Some women carrying offerings on their heads down to throw into the water.

Ok, wait, these weren't the things they threw...
just the things they paraded around.
We didn't know what exactly was going on.  No one standing around watching seemed to know either.  Looked cool though.  After one of the offerings was thrown into the water, we realized the basket had a live duck in it.  Someone was on it though.  A guy from one of the little restaurant/food stands ran and plucked it out....while the rest of the ceremony was still going on.  Very interesting.  I'm sure he just wanted a pet, and it had nothing to do with, um, roast duck. 

On the way back to the hotel, we decided we were in need of some pampering.  My wonderful silver nail polish still looked fine from before I left for Indonesia (increadibly), so I got a facial while the girls got pedis.  It was funny, because we were still trying talk to each other, but lots of my responses were grunts because I had stuff drying on my face.

Noreen waving at me through the window.  Notice the price for the pedi.
Roughly translates to $3.50.  My facial was $6.00.
After it was over, I felt drugged.  It was hard to stand.  Just from a facial.  It was pretty awesome.  

More relaxing in the room.  The girls had a snack, and I went swimming.  Night swimming.  

Ok, so not a night picture, but you get the idea.
These pink flowers would drop in the pool and float around.
Water was perfect.  Air was perfect, TOWEL was perfect.  Birds were swooping around and all the flowers were rustling in the wind.  Pretty much perfection.

Then it was time for a night out.  Bali is known for it's nightlife.  After culturally imposed nights at home, we were ready.  Turns out the place where we were going, wasn't so much a bar, as a gorgeous high end restaurant.  Oh well.  I think my meal was more than my hotel room. but just look...

Baby lobster risotto, with shrimp flavored foam.
Bruschetta and JAMON SERRANO!

More of the tasty jamon, and Noreen's tuna tartare  (I think)
decorated on a plate with thinly sliced cucumbers.
An espresso after dinner drink that came like a little meal,
 and packed a wallop.
And then dessert.

Praline tart, caramel flan, and cinnamon ice cream with crumbles underneath.
The restaurant was right on the beach in Kuta.  It was a beautiful night.  The place was beautiful, but it wasn't really our scene, and after our meal, we were pretty sleepy.  So, off to the hotel we went.
Noreen demonstrating just how big the bed is.
Smiles!

Michaela was having none of it.  :)
Just one little disclaimer.  These posts are pretty late, but they take an awful long time to write and upload.  The photos alone are a couple of hours, not counting when the computer and internet decide to freeze on me and erase all the work that I've done, while I'm actually trying to save it.  Or the fact that I didn't really have any internet access at all for the last 2 days.  

Baby steps.

1 comment:

  1. That little island from the plane looks like a whale without a tail!

    ReplyDelete