Disclaimer

This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program, Georgetown University, or the U.S. Department of State.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Get out of my house!

You'd think by the title, that this post is going to be about my rat and spider problem.  It's not.


When I came back from Manado, there were about 7 people in the house.  Doors and windows were open (undoing the careful kinda bug free environment I had set up with all that bug spray) and there was a half eaten fish smelling up the front room.

Remember when I said that after I came back from Bali that there were 5 extra toothbrushes in the bathroom?  Well, I asked Nihta and Imelda, and it seems that the owner's son had come home from Singapore to stay in the house for the holiday.  He either really likes clean teeth, or he wasn't alone.  The house is supposed to be off limits to other people.  I have a key to lock my bedroom, but it only locks from the inside.  Maybe to lock the rats out?  Hee hee.

Well, one week later, and it had happened again.  People had stayed for the weekend.  Plus, people had been in my room.  A HUGE NO NO.  I was NOT a happy camper.
Everyone cleared out, but about 30 minutes later, there was a knock at the front door, and Kiki, the caretaker's son was there with 3 other guys.  One of them was being carried.  Oh no!  There had been a motorcycle accident.  2 of them had been hurt.  One guy's ankle was swollen, and there were awful looking scrapes everywhere.  These were Kiki's friends, and I was there to help.  Both of them were wearing helmets (thank God). I brought with me a pretty well stocked first aid kit, but after 5 minutes, remembered that I had taken out the ace bandage.  I took my disposable travel towel, cut it into strips, and dressed everyone's wounds as best I could.  Plus, I'm probably the only person within a 30 miles radius that actually has ice in her freezer.  By this time, Om Deni, Tanta Yeti and Miracle were in the house too.  I was using my dictionary, and Google translate to communicate.  

This was the most I had spoken to these people since I had arrived.  It felt good.  Before this, my only real interaction with them was Miracle trying to hit me or throw things at me in the yard, while they laughed (and of course, them responding to my never ending comments about the tikus (rat) and laba-laba (spiders).  I have to say, this was way better.  The families of the 2 guys came in a truck to carry them back.  The bike was kinda totaled.  The parents kept thanking me over and over again.  All it was really, was Neosporin spray, Band-aids, my jimmy-rigged bandages and ice pack, and some Tylenol PM for the pain.  How they were acting though, you'd think I was a brain surgeon that just performed an operation!

This euphoria kinda helped the fact that I had discovered that my American phone was missing out of my room.  This is still a raw subject, so I don't wanna talk about it much.  Let's just say that I do tend to misplace things, but I have searched hi and low since then, and it's nowhere to be found.  Plus, the phone says that it's "off" when I call it.  I never turn it off, because it's my alarm clock.  I didn't bring it with me to  Manado, because I knew I wouldn't need it.  This was just another thing to add to the list of reasons I was pissed to still be living my "temporary home".

Which leads me to the following pictures...
The new front porch.
The new hole in the roof.
Starting to lay down the floor.
The space where the "kitchen" will eventually be.
Tiles in the bathroom.
 While I was in Bali, there were things that were supposed to be fixed the the Dean's house... some ripped screens, the gaps under the doors, some heavy cleaning of the floors.  Nothing had been done.  Plus, the roof had been torn off of the new house, and a new porch had been started.  Evidently they decided that the house might be too small.  I don't know who "they" are.  I let Dian and George know the status of the house.  They were less than thrilled.  Evidently, 2 similar situations had happened in previous years.... One ELF discovered that while she was away, the owners had slept in her room, among other things, and another ELF was in a similar situation with a house being built for him.  It wasn't even finished by the time he left to go back home to the US.  Dian made some phone calls and sent some irate emails to Nihta.  This was now the second week in a row that people had been in the house without my knowledge, and it had to stop.

I hoped things would happen soon, because I was tired of crouching while showering with one hand.

2 comments:

  1. Again?? They stayed in the house again?? And maybe made off with your phone? That's HORRIBLE!! I'm so glad you got out of there.

    ReplyDelete