Disclaimer

This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program, Georgetown University, or the U.S. Department of State.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

SICK!

So, the last couple of years at Maine East, I definitely had a trend going.  Getting sick the first week of school.  All those new germs in the building after the summer of my nice clean house (I said house people, not bedroom).  Well, evidently, Indonesia was gonna treat me the same way.  After getting home on Wednesday after school, I took a nap.

Now, this is a pretty strange thing for me to do here.  I am terrified of sleeping in my house, and usually can only accomplish it when I am exhausted.  Maybe that's why I felt so bad.  Plus, I LIVE to nap.  THere is nothing I like to do more than sleep.  One nap later, I woke up feeling AWFUL.  Lucky for me, I actually packed a thermometer.  Yup.  Fever of 101.  On average, I usually run at about 97 (98.6 is an average people), so 101 was pretty high for me.  Also luckily for me, I brought along a lot of medicine from the US.  One call to Nihta to tell her I was sick, and one call to my dad for some TLC later, and I was back in bed.  NyQuil, do your thing!

So, it was my first week of school, and I blew off my Thursday of office hours.  Judging by the lack of anyone really showing up since then, it wasn't that big of a deal.  I was kinda mad at being sick though, because I had arranged to go back to Manado to stay at the Novotel again that weekend.  Come on, did you see those pictures before?  It's like staying at an IKEA store for the weekend.

I did go though.  Tini (the department head) and Zyska (her secretary) drove me into Manado on their way home.  They were so cute and concerned for me.  I still had a fever.  Bad sign when Tylenol won't bring it down.  They stopped and bought me crackers, and a lot of water.  Rest they said.

Rest I did.  A weekend in the big city, and I didn't leave my room, except to eat twice.  All I did was sleep sleep sleep.  Oh, and watch a little cable.  Cable can sometimes make everything better.  By Sunday, I was feeling cured.  So, I did my typical shopping spree for pop, Force Magic bug spray, and air fresheners at the Hypermart.  Then it was back to the cabin in the rice fields.

No comments:

Post a Comment