Disclaimer

This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program, Georgetown University, or the U.S. Department of State.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My Goals For This Year

So, here are some of the things that I hope to accomplish while I'm here.  They are in no particular order, and some are program related, some some are purely personal.  Some I have already stolen from other people because they seemed like good ideas.

Here goes:
Find a way to get reliable internet access
Make friends - native and not
Do a workshop
Visit some ETA's
Visit some other ELF's
Learn Bahasa Indonesia
Don't forget my Spanish
SCUBA dive a snorkel as much as possible
Don't get Malaria or Dengue Fever from mosquitoes
Exercise a lot - get in shape - stop being so fat (you get the idea)
Keep up with this blog and my journal
Get a bike
Keep on top of my lesson planning and grading as much as possible
Play as much pool as possible with some locals (gotta make it to Vegas again next year!)
Visit some local high schools
Read some Indonesian authors like Kartina and Pramoedya Ananta Toer
Try not to sweat the little stuff
Try not to be too much of a hermit in my house in the middle of nowhere

So, that's all I can think of right now.  I'm on my way in a few hours to Manado, where I'll be in another hotel for a couple of days (this means internet access, yay!).  I have to register with the local police and file lots of paperwork.  This can't be done in my town, so Manado it is.  This would be like having to stay in Chicago, because Naperville (where the school is) doesn't have the facilities.  This is a good analogy actually, space wise, for where I'll be.  It's like calling a school the University of Chicago, but the campus in actually in Naperville.  But Naperville isn't connected with Chicago by all those other suburbs.  And the road between them isn't exactly the greatest.

I'll be posting some pictures soone, but to be honest, I haven't take all that many yet.  Mostly sharing of cameras, and pictures of the other awesome people in the program.  We all separated today.  I'm sure I'm gonna be really lonely tonight.

Ciao!
Megan

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget to add Mecca Sadler as a friend on Facebook as one of your goals. Miss you around here, but can't wait to read about your journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, Megan! We'll have to keep each other accountable on these goals of ours. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your list of goals, Megan! I hope you accomplish all of them and I'm happy help you meet your scuba dive and snorkel as much as possible goal :-)

    ReplyDelete